The Mata Group is an interdisciplinary team composed of engineers, chemists, materials scientists, biologists, and practitioners focused on generating scientific and technological breakthroughs for medical applications. We aim to create a thriving environment where collaboration, team-work, creativity, curiosity, and passion about science come together to tackle big biomedical challenges and have fun doing it. We aim high and focus on doing our best every day, both individually and as a team. We are a friendly laboratory that is highly international with members from the UK, Turkey, Egypt, Nigeria, Mexico, Poland, Argentina, Denmark, Venezuela, China and Costa Rica.
Meet the Team
- Dr Kseniya Shuturminska, PhD student, 2014-2017. Design and Synthesis of Novel Bioactive Peptide Systems for Enamel Regeneration
- Dr Karla Inostroza-Brito, PhD student, 2013-2017. Self-organization and hierarchical morphogenesis of a hybrid peptide/protein supramolecular system for potential vascular tissue application.
- Dr Valentina Cirillo, Postdoc, 2016-2017. Optimisation of new crosslinking strategies of elastin-like polypeptides.
- Dr Estelle Collin, Postdoc, 2013-2017. Development of 3D mimicking microenvironment for cell culture models.
- Dr Michal Lipka, PhD student, 2013-2017. Design and fabrication of a novel device for three-dimensional (3D) patterning of hydrogels.
- Dr Esther Tejeda-Montes, PhD student and Postdoc, 2009-2015. Development of bioactive membranes for controlled cell behaviour, mineralization, and bone regeneration.
- Dr Ryan Seelbach, PhD student, 2011-2015. Composite hydrogels for tissue regeneration based on dendrimer-modified hyaluronic acid.
- Juan Pablo Aguilar, PhD student, 2011 – present. A novell molecular printing within hydrogels technique based on electrophoresis.
- Dr Katie Smith, Postdoc, 2011 – 2013. Microfabricated biochips and self-assembling composites.